Antibiotic Awareness Campaign
“To promote the appropriate use of local and systemic antibiotics in Endodontics and prevent their misuse”
Following on from the British Endodontic Societies Regional Meeting in Edinburgh, please join us, the European Society of Endodontology and the World Health Organisation’s pledge to reduce the unnecessary use of antibiotics in Endodontics that can help prevent the development and spread of antibiotic resistance and improve patient outcomes.
What is antibiotic resistance?
- when bacteria adapt and develop a way to protect themselves from being killed by antibiotics
- bacteria are more likely to develop resistance when antibiotics are overused or not used as prescribed
Why is it a problem?
- infections caused by antibiotic resistant bacteria are more difficult to treat leading to increased levels of disease and death and longer hospital stays
- surgical operations and treatments like chemotherapy all require antibiotics to be successful; if our antibiotics do not work these procedures will become impossible without risk of infection
- misuse of antibiotics and the side-effects they produce add to the financial burden of health care systems and society in general;
- unwanted side-effects such as anaphylactic reactions, gastro-intestinal problems etc. will impact on the well-being of patients;
- antibiotic prescribing for common dental/medical problems increases patient expectations for antibiotics, leading to a vicious cycle of increased prescribing in order to meet expectations
What can you do?
- Join the BES, ESE and World Health Organisation’s pledge to reduce the unnecessary use of antibiotics in Endodontics that can help prevent the development and spread of antibiotic resistance and improve patient outcomes
Resources and information
The ESE has published a Position Statement on “The use of antibiotics in Endodontics”, see:
ESE Position Statement on use of antibiotics in Endodontics http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/iej.12781/full
The ESE has also been associated with a review paper on “Antibiotics in Endodontics”, see:
Antibiotics in Endodontics: a review http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/iej.12741/full
23 November 2017